All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe basis for the critically-acclaimed film, Heal the Living, directed by Katell Quillevere and starring Tahar Rahim and Emmanuelle SeignerAlbertine Prize FinalistWinner of the Wellcome Book PrizeJust before dawn on a Sunday morning, three teenage boys go surfing. While driving home exhausted, the boys are involved in a fatal car accident on a deserted road. Two of the boys are wearing seat belts; one goes through the windshield. The doctors declare him brain-dead shortly after arriving at the hospital, but his heart is still beating.The Heart takes place over the twenty-four hours surrounding the resulting heart transplant, as life is taken from a young man and given to a woman close to death. In gorgeous, ruminative prose, it examines the deepest feelings of everyone involved as they navigate decisions of life and death.As stylistically audacious as it is emotionally explosive, The Heart mesmerized readers in France, where it has been hailed as the breakthrough work of a new literary star. With the precision of a surgeon and the language of a poet, de Kerangal has made a major contribution to both medicine and literature with an epic tale of grief, hope, and survival.
- Author BiographyMaylis de Kerangal is the author of several novels in French, including Je marche sous un ciel de traine (2000), La vie voyageuse (2003), Corniche Kennedy (2008), and Naissance d'un pont (published in English as Birth of a Bridge, winner of the Prix Franz Hessel and Prix Medicis in 2010). She has also published a collection of short stories, Ni fleurs ni couronnes (2006), and a novella, Tangente vers l'est (winner of the 2012 Prix Landerneau). In addition, she has published a fiction tribute to Kate Bush and Blondie titled Dans les rapides (2007). In 2014, her fifth novel, Reparer les vivants (The Heart), was published to wide acclaim, and won the Grand Prix RTL-Lire and the Student Choice Novel of the Year from France culture and Telerama. She lives in Paris, France.
- Author(s)Maylis De Kerangal
- PublisherPicador USA
- Date of Publication14/02/2017
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPicador USA
- Weight200 g
- Width137 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated bySam Taylor
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $71.47
- AU $84.17Trending at AU $91.13
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.49
- AU $12.76Trending at AU $13.85
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.67
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $24.15
- AU $12.58Trending at AU $14.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.