All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA call to advance integrative teaching and learning in higher education. From Parker Palmer, best-selling author of The Courage to Teach, and Arthur Zajonc, professor of physics at Amherst College and director of the academic program of the Center for Contemplative Mind in Society, comes this call to revisit the roots and reclaim the vision of higher education. The Heart of Higher Education proposes an approach to teaching and learning that hors the whole human being mind, heart, and spirit an essential integration if we hope to address the complex issues of our time. The book offers a rich interplay of analysis, theory, and proposals for action from two educators and writers who have contributed to developing the field of integrative education over the past few decades. * Presents Parker Palmer s powerful response to critics of holistic learning and Arthur Zajonc s elucidation of the relationship between science, the humanities, and the contemplative traditions * Explores ways to take steps toward making colleges and universities places that awaken the deepest potential in students, faculty, and staff * Offers a practical approach to fostering renewal in higher education through collegiality and conversation The Heart of Higher Education is for all who are new to the field of holistic education, all who want to deepen their understanding of its challenges, and all who want to practice and promote this vital approach to teaching and learning on their campuses.
- Author BiographyParker J. Palmer is a highly respected writer, teacher, and activist. His work speaks deeply to people in many walks of life, including education, medicine, religion, law, philanthropy, politics, and social change. Author of seven books, including the best sellers The Courage to Teach (now in its tenth anniversary edition), Let Your Life Speak, and A Hidden Wholeness, his work has been recognized with ten honorary doctorates and a number of national awards. Named one of the most influential senior leaders in higher education, he holds a Ph.D. from the University of California at Berkeley. Arthur Zajonc is professor of physics at Amherst College and has been a Fulbright professor at the University of Innsbruck in Austria. He is the author of several books, including Meditation as Contemplative Inquiry: When Knowing Becomes Love and Catching the Light: The Entwined History of Light and Mind. He currently directs the Center for Contemplative Mind in Society, which supports appropriate inclusion of contemplative methods in higher education. Megan Scribner is an editor and writer who has worked with numerous foundations and educational organizations. She is coeditor of Teaching with Fire and Leading from Within and coauthor of The Courage to Teach Guide for Reflection and Renewal. She serves as an advisor to the Fetzer Institute.
- Author(s)Arthur G. Zajonc,Megan Scribner,Parker J. Palmer
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication20/08/2010
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationChichester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Ltd
- Weight448 g
- Width157 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Foreword byMark Nepo
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $33.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.