All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Heretic tells the story of a man whose passions moved him to action in the time of the Spanish Inquisition, taking us into the heart of sixteenth-century Spain. It is w available in paperback. At the very moment that Martin Luther nails his ninety-five theses to a church door and launches the movement that will divide the Roman Catholic Church, a child is born, his fate marked by the political and religious upheaval taking root in Europe. Cipria Salcedo grows up to become a prosperous merchant and joins the Reformation movement, which is secretly advancing on the Iberian Peninsula. But before long, the Spanish Inquisition will drive the Reformers to put their lives at stake. Delibes paints a masterful portrait of the time of Spain's Charles V and the social and intellectual atmosphere of Europe at one of history's most pivotal moments. An ode to tolerance and the liberty of conscience, The Heretic is a gripping tale and a vivid portrait of the tumult that would split the Catholic Church in two and completely refashion the western world.
- Author BiographyMiguel Delibes was born in Valladolid, Spain in 1920. His more than fifty books have been translated into sixteen languages. In 1973 he became a member of the Royal Academy, and in 1999 The Heretic won the Premio Nacional de Narrativa, Spain's premier literary prize.
- Author(s)Miguel Delibes
- PublisherOverlook Press
- Date of Publication19/07/2007
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOverlook Press
- Content Notemaps
- Weight308 g
- Width137 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated byAlfred MacAdam
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.18Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.