All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the preeminent reference on antique English knives, written by one of Great Britain's most respected 20th century authorities on weaponry. The text contains much previously unkwn historical information about cutlers and their art. Chapters and over 300 color photographs and hand-drawn illustrations cover the earliest history of Sheffield, England, a directory of 19th century cutlers' names, and many groups and types of knives, from the most humble penknife to magnificent exhibition pieces. The history of the famous American designed Bowie knife, manufactured extensively in Sheffield, is explained and amply illustrated. Discussions present multi-bladed sportsmen's pocket knives, farrier's, smoker's, quill knives, curiosities, and actual knives presented to King George IV in 1821. These appear along with a veritable kaliedoscope of craftsmanship. Quoting from the author's Ackwledgements, Sheffield's legacy is t just in the tangible dust-covered records or faded photographs rescued from destruction, but in the living art form of their craft that endures and remains the symbol of what was the centre of the cutlery world for well over a hundred years.
- Author BiographyDavid Hayden-Wright had service with the elite 16/5th Queen's Royal Lancers Cavalry Regiment and became a professional registered weapons dealer, passionate collector, and consultant. He cataloged the historical armories of several museums and advised many other collectors and investors in this specialized field. After retiring in 1979, he enthusiastically advanced his interest in aviation at the upper levels. He died in 2005.
- Author(s)David Hayden-Wright
- PublisherSchiffer Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication15/09/2007
- SubjectAntiques & Collectables
- Place of PublicationAtglen
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSchiffer Publishing Ltd
- Content Note301 color + 20 b/w photos
- Weight2300 g
- Width229 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.