All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.48Trending at AU $32.23
- AU $56.25Trending at AU $57.26
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.19
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $78.69
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.32
- AU $12.87Trending at AU $16.79
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $51.47
About this product
- Description1494 Barcelona. As Torquemada lights the fires of religious fervor throughout the cities of Spain, accused heretics are t the only victims. Thousands of books and manuscripts are lost to the flames as the Black Friars attempt to purge Europe of the ancient secrets of the gods and the bold new ideas that are ushering in the Renaissance. Nadira lives a dreary life as servant to a wealthy spice merchant until the night a dying scholar is brought to the merchant's stable, beaten by mercenaries who are on the hunt for The Hermetica of Elysium. To Nadira, words are her life: she lives them as her master's scrivener and dreams them in her mother's poetry. She is pursued as passionately as the fabled manuscript for her rare skill as a reader of Ancient Greek, Latin, Arabic and Hebrew that makes her valuable to men who pursue the book to exploit its magic. Kidnapped by Baron Montrose, an adventurous bleman, she is forced to read from the Hermetica. It is soon revealed to her that ideas and words are more powerful than steel or fire for within its pages are the words that incite the Dominicans to religious fervor, give the Templars their power and reveal the lost mysteries of Elysium. As Nadira begins her transformation from servant to sorceress, will she escape the fires of the Inquisition, the clutches of the Borgia pope, Alexander VI and the French king, Charles VIII? And will Montrose's growing fear of her powers cause her to lose her chance for love?
- Author BiographyAnnmarie Banks spent the first twenty years of her professional life as a bookseller specializing in out-of-print and antiquarian books. She has studied many books about the history of the quest for knowledge, namely alchemy and philosophy. This search for the unknown was so fascinating to her that she wrote the book she had always hoped to find on the shelves of the bookstore, but never did. Arthur C. Clark's Third Law, Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic is the inspiration for her series of books exploring the boundaries between what is possible, what is plausible and what remains to be proven. She currently lives in Arizona.
- Author(s)Annmarie Banks
- PublisherKnox Robinson Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication08/12/2011
- SubjectScience Fiction & Fantasy
- Series TitleElysium Texts Series
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintKnox Robinson Publishing Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight487 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.