All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA withering indictment of Dutch colonialism, Louis Couperus's The Hidden Force is a vivid portrait of fin-de-siecle moral and social decay. A mystical Javan prince and a promiscuous wife are twin challenges to Dutch Commissioner Van Oudijck's seemingly impregnable authority. As he struggles to maintain control of his district and his family, ancient local traditions reassert their influence and colonial power begins to disintegrate. Set at the height of Dutch colonial rule in the East Indies, this classic of Dutch literature portrays the clash between Western rationalism and indigeus mysticism through an evocative and sensual narrative. Translated from the Dutch by Paul Vincent, Louis Couperus's The Hidden Force is published by Pushkin Press. Louis Couperus (1863-1923), regarded as one of the foremost figures in Dutch literature, was a leading member of the Tachtigers movement. Born in the Hague, Couperus was taken by his family to the Dutch East Indies as a child, where he remained until his father's death. His other vels include Eline Vere (1889), Ecstasy (Extaze: Een boek van geluk, 1892), Inevitable (Langs lijnen van geleidelijkheid, 1900), and The Hidden Force (De Stille Kracht, 1900), all of which are available from Pushkin Press. A rewned wit, raconteur and commentator, Couperus continued to publish critically and commercially successful work until his death.
- Author BiographyLouis Couperus was born in The Hague in 1863. Couperus spent much of his youth in the Dutch East Indies and many of his novels and stories are set there. Couperus gained prominence in 1889 with the publication of Eline Vere-a psychological novel influenced by the style of Zola and Flaubert. Eline Vere was followed by Ecstasy in 1892, Psyche in 1898 and Inevitable in 1900; all available from Pushkin Press. A renowned wit, raconteur and commentator, Couperus continued to publish critically and commercially successful work until his death from blood poisoning in 1923.
- Author(s)Louis Couperus
- PublisherPushkin Press
- Date of Publication27/09/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPushkin Press
- Weight340 g
- Width120 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Translated byPaul Vincent
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $56.25Trending at AU $57.50
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.88
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.33
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.11
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $12.87Trending at AU $16.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.