Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $24.49Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $13.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne moonlit night, thirteen-year-old Miles O'Malley, a speed-reading, Rachel Carson-obsessed insomniac out looking for tidal specimens in Puget Sound, discovers a giant squid stranded on the beach. As the first person to see a giant squid alive, he finds himself hailed as a prophet. But Miles is really just a kid on the verge of growing up, infatuated with the girl next door, worried that his bickering parents will divorce, and fearful that everything, even the bay he loves, is shifting away from him. As the sea continues to offer up discoveries from its mysterious depths, Miles struggles to deal with the difficulties that attend the equally mysterious process of growing up. In stunning prose, author Jim Lynch puts sea life into a kaleidoscope where swirling shapes burst and reconfigure in continuous life-affirming wonder...The balance of elegance, groundedness and style is remarkable. -San Francisco Chronicle An irresistible coming-of-age fable, dappled with lyricism, briny honesty and good humor. It's as if Carson herself (or, say, John McPhee) had turned to fiction, bringing an exacting sense of the ebb and flow of nature to the story of one largely unsupervised boy and the exploration of his surroundings. -Los Angeles Times Unforgettable...[A] classic coming-of-age story, told with wry wit and quirky mating-marine-life facts. -Seattle Times In his superb first vel, Olympia's Jim Lynch has achieved a unique literary Triple Crown: 1) best coming-of-age vel set in the Pacific Northwest in recent memory; 2) best vel to resurrect the writing of the visionary Rachel Carson; 3) best vel to educate people about that mysteriously awesome place where freshwater meets the sea. -Oregonian The fertile strangeness of marine tidal life becomes a subtly executed metaphor for the bewilderments of adolescence in this tender and authentic coming-of-age vel. -Publishers Weekly (starred review) Nerdy, vulnerable,
- Author BiographyJim Lynch spent four years as the Puget Sound reporter for the Oregonian, and has won national journalism awards and published short fiction in literary magazines. A Washington state native, Lynch currently writes and sails from his home in Olympia, where he lives with his wife and daughter. The Highest Tide is his first novel.
- Author(s)Jim Lynch
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/05/2006
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Weight272 g
- Width137 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.39Trending at AU $30.92
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $13.16Trending at AU $13.77
- AU $12.36Trending at AU $14.16
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $19.56
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.