All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJames Still remains one of the most beloved and important writers in Appalachian literature. Best kwn for his acclaimed vel River of Earth (1940), the Alabama native and adopted Kentuckian left an enduring legacy of vels, stories, and poems during his nearly seventy year career. The Hills Remember: The Complete Short Stories of James Still hors the late writer by collecting all of Still's short stories, including his stories from On Troublesome Creek (1941), Pattern of a Man and Other Stories (1976), and The Run for the Elbertas (1980), as well as twelve prose pieces originally published as short stories and later incorporated into River of Earth. Also included are several lesser-kwn stories and ten never-before-published stories. Recognized as a significant writer of short fiction in his day -- many of his stories initially appeared in The Atlantic and The Saturday Evening Post and were included in The O. Henry Memorial Award Stories and The Best American Short Stories collections -- Still's short stories, while often overshadowed in recent years by his vels and poetry, are among his most enduring literary works. Editor Ted Olson offers a reassessment of Still's short fiction within the contexts of the author's body of work and within Appalachian and American literature. Compiling all of James Still's compelling and varied short stories into one volume, The Hills Remember is a testament to a master writer.
- Author BiographyJames Still (1906--2001) was the author of numerous works of fiction and poetry, including River of Earth; From the Mountain, From the Valley: New and Collected Poems; and Chinaberry.Ted Olson is professor of Appalachian Studies and English at East Tennessee State University. He is the editor of From the Mountain, From the Valley, the editor of two scholarly books exploring James Still's work, the coeditor of The Bristol Sessions: Writings about the Big Bang of Country Music, and the author of Blue Ridge Folklife and Breathing in Darkness: Poems.
- Author(s)James Still
- PublisherThe University Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication15/03/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLexington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University Press of Kentucky
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight698 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edited byTed Olson
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $20.42Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $11.95
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.01
- AU $56.57Trending at AU $60.36
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $15.93
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $23.74
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $22.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.