Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.65Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a new perspective on the cultural politics of Charles Brockden Brown. The vels of Charles Brockden Brown, the most accomplished literary figure in early America, redefined the gothic genre and helped shape some of America's greatest writers, including Herman Melville, Edgar Allan Poe, and Nathaniel Hawthorne. However, little has been said about the latter years of Brown's career. While his early vels are celebrated for their invative and experimental style, Brown's later historical narratives are often dismissed as uninteresting, and Brown himself has been accused of having become 'a stodgy conservative'. Through a re-examination of these neglected historical writings, Mark L. Kamrath takes a fresh look at Brown's later career and his role in the cultural politics of the early national period. This interdisciplinary study uses transatlantic historical contexts and recent narrative discourse to unveil Brown's philosophic inquires into the filiopietistic tradition of historiography and increasingly imperialistic tion of American exceptionalism. It recovers a forgotten debate - and radical position - about the nature of historical truth and representation and opens up for contemporary discussion what it means to write about the past.
- Author BiographyMark L. Kamrath is associate professor of English at the University of Central Florida and general editor of the Charles Brockden Brown Electronic Archive and Scholarly Edition.
- Author(s)Mark L. Kamrath
- PublisherKent State University Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationKent, OH
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKent State University Press
- Content Noteillustrations, notes, index
- Weight658 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.