All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGecide is a matter of law. It is also a matter of history. Engaging some of the most disturbing responses to the Armenian gecide, Marc Nichanian strikingly reveals the complex role played by law and history in making this and other gecides endure as contentious events. Nichanian's book argues that both law and history fail to contend with the very nature of events for which there is archive ( documents, witnesses). Both history and law fail to address the modern reality that events can be--and are w being--perpetrated that depend upon the destruction of the archive, turning monstrous deeds into nevents. Gecide, this book makes us see, is in one sense the destruction of the archive. It relies on the historiographic perversion.
- Author BiographyMarc Nichanian is a philosopher and literary critic who has taught in the United States, France, Italy, Turkey, and Armenia. He is the author of a history of the Armenian language and of a multivolume study of modern Armenian literature entitled Entre l'art et le temoignage, volume 1 of which, Writers of Disaster (The National Revolution) appeared in English in 2002. He is also the editor of Gam: A Journal of Analysis (written in Armenian). Six volumes were published between 1980 and 2005. Gil Anidjar teaches in the Department of Middle East and Asian Languages and Cultures and in the Department of Religion at Columbia University.
- Author(s)Marc Nichanian
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication12/08/2009
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width139 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated byGil Anidjar
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.