All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMr Polly is an ordinary middle-aged man who is tired of his wife's nagging and his dreary job as the owner of a regional gentleman's outfitters. Faced with the threat of bankruptcy, he concludes that the only way to escape his frustrating existence is by burning his shop to the ground, and killing himself. Unexpected events, however, conspire at the last moment to lead the bewildered Mr Polly to a bright new future - after he saves a life, fakes his death, and escapes to a life of heroism, hope and ultimate happiness.
- Author BiographyH. G. Wells was a professional writer and journalist, who published more than a hundred books, including novels, histories, essays and programmes for world regeneration. Wells's prophetic imagination was first displayed in pioneering works of science fiction, but later he became an apostle of socialism, science and progress. His controversial views on sexual equality and the shape of a truly developed nation remain directly relevant to our world today. He was, in Bertrand Russell's words, 'an important liberator of thought and action'.
- Author(s)H. G. Wells,John Sutherland
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication31/03/2005
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight202 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited bySimon James
- Introduction byJohn Sutherland
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $74.97Trending at AU $77.01
- AU $12.52Trending at AU $13.05
- AU $46.02Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $17.59Trending at AU $18.15
- AU $28.94Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $14.05
- AU $12.21Trending at AU $15.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.