CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.09
- AU $32.49Trending at AU $38.03
- AU $28.57Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $11.66Trending at AU $14.91
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.57
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.95
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.82
About this product
- DescriptionThis first standard work on the past 25 years in postmodern architecture documents a rich and controversial period. It provides a fascinating, clear, and provocative definition of the phemena of postmodernism, particularly in relation to the major ideas of modernism. Over 500 illustrations, including 96 in full color, are in themselves a substantial record of the aesthetic preoccupations of postmodernist architects, their patrons, and their detractors.Heinrich Klotz is one of Europe's leading architectural critics. In this paramic work he challenges popular tions of postmodernism as synymous with the stylistic license of eclecticism. He seeks to clarify the postmodern in other than stylistic, historic, or regional terms and identifies a long tradition of canical, modern buildings which were breaking ground for what would become postmodern long before the word existed. His criteria for what defines postmodern will be challenged, debated, and quoted by historians and architects alike.Klotz focuses both on architects' individual projects and their work as a whole, combining structural analysis with an assessment of programmatic and philosophical content. Not only function, but also fiction! that is the guiding concept of this book. His approach leads quite naturally to a gallery of celebrities from the modern as well as the postmodern period: Mies, Kahn, Venturi, Moore, Ungers, Rossi, Stirling, Hollein, Gehry, Graves, Meier, Hedjuk, Eisenman, Botta, Krier, and Stern among them. Also included are a host of less well-kwn contemporary practitioners including Rem Koolhas, Thomas Gordon Smith, and Maurice Culot.Heinrich Klotz is Professor at the University of Marburg and Director of the German Architecture Museum in Frankfurt, the most distinguished showcase of contemporary architectural exhibitions in Europe. He is the author of 14 books, founder and editor of Architectura magazine, the Jahrbuch fuer architecktur, and winner of the Schinkel prize of the German Society of Architects.
- Author(s)Heinrich Klotz
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/1988
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Out-of-print date28/02/2001
- Content Note544
- Weight454 g
- Width149 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.