All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the schism between Rome and Constantiple to the rise of the T'ang Dynasty, from the birth of Muhammad to the crowning of Charlemagne, this erudite book tells the fascinating, often violent story of kings, generals, and the peoples they ruled.In her earlier work, The History of the Ancient World, Susan Wise Bauer wrote of the rise of kingship based on might. But in the years between the fourth and the twelfth centuries, rulers had to find new justification for their power, and they turned to divine truth or grace to justify political and military action. Right thus replaces might as the engine of empire.Not just Christianity and Islam but the religions of the Persians and the Germans, and even Buddhism, are pressed into the service of the state. This phemen-stretching from the Americas all the way to Japan-changes religion, but it also changes the state.
- Author BiographySusan Wise Bauer is the bestselling author of the Story of the World series for elementary students, The Well-Educated Mind, and The History of the Ancient World, and coauthor of The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home. She is a faculty member in English at the College of William and Mary in Virginia, where she teaches writing and literature. British narrator John Lee has read audiobooks in almost every conceivable genre, from Charles Dickens to Patrick O'Brian, and from the very real life of Napoleon to the entirely imagined lives of sorcerers and swashbucklers. He has won numerous Audie Awards and AudioFile Earphones Awards, and he was named a Golden Voice by AudioFile in 2009. Lee is also an accomplished stage actor and wrote and coproduced the feature films Breathing Hard and Forfeit.
- Author(s)Susan Wise Bauer
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication22/02/2010
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight74 g
- Width135 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Narrator(s)John Lee
- Format DetailsMP3 format
- Running Time1350
- Edition StatementUnabridged
Save on Audio Books
- AU $16.32Trending at AU $20.57
- AU $89.47Trending at AU $97.51
- AU $30.20Trending at AU $37.61
- AU $27.59Trending at AU $32.43
- AU $21.05Trending at AU $28.91
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $25.00
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $51.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.