All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTHE SUNDAY TIMES AND ECONOMIST BOOKS OF THE YEAR 2016 'A definitive study of the amorphous state that lasted a thousand years ... The Holy Roman Empire deserves to be hailed as a magnum opus' Tom Holland, Daily Telegraph 'Engrossing ... staggering ... a book that is relevant to our own times' The Times 'Masterly ... If, like most people, you kw little more about the Holy Roman Empire other than Voltaire's bon mot - neither holy, r Roman, r an empire - then this is the book for you' Daniel Johnson, Sunday Times 'A history that helps us understand Europe's problems today ... interesting and provocative, makes the complex understandable' Christopher Kissane, Guardian A great, sprawling, ancient and unique entity, the Holy Roman Empire, from its founding by Charlemagne to its destruction by Napoleon a millennium later, formed the heart of Europe. It was a great engine for inventions and ideas, it was the origin of many modern European states, from Germany to the Czech Republic, its relations with Italy, France and Poland dictated the course of countless wars - indeed European history as a whole makes sense without it. In this strikingly ambitious book, Peter H. Wilson explains how the Empire worked. It is t a chrological history, but an attempt to convey to readers why it was so important and how it changed over its existence. The result is a tour de force - a book that raises countless questions about the nature of political and military power, about diplomacy and the nature of European civilization and about the legacy of the Empire, which has continued to haunt its offspring, from Imperial and Nazi Germany to the European Union.
- Author BiographyPeter H. Wilson is the author of the highly acclaimed Europe's Tragedy- A New History of the Thirty Years War (2009). He is the Chichele Professor of the History of War at the University of Oxford.
- Author(s)Peter H. Wilson
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication23/02/2017
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2017
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Weight710 g
- Width130 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine48 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.09
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $38.03
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $11.66Trending at AU $14.91
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.57
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.95
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.