All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the Chief Rabbi's thesis on the future of British society and the dangers facing liberal democracy. A counterweight to his earlier book, The Dignity of Difference , Sacks makes the case for 'integrated diversity' within a framework of shared political values.'Multiculturalism has run its course, and it is time to move on'. So begins Jonathan Sacks' new book on the future of British society and the dangers facing liberal democracy.Arguing that global communications have fragmented national cultures and that multiculturalism, intended to reduce social frictions, is today reinforcing them, Sacks argues for a new approach to national identity.Offering a new paradigm to replace previous models of assimilation on the one hand, multiculturalism on the other, he argues that we should see society as 'the home we build together', bringing the distinctive gifts of different groups to the common good. Sacks warns of the hazards free and open societies face in the twenty-first century, and offers an unusual religious defence of liberal democracy and the nation state.
- Author BiographySir Jonathan Sacks is Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of Britain and the Commonwealth. He is the author of numerous books, including Celebrating Life, From Optimism to Hope, The Persistence of Faith and The Dignity of Difference, for which he won a Grawemeyer Award in Religion.
- Author(s)Jonathan Sacks
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication02/04/2009
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Weight340 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $21.95Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.31Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $26.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.