All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
About this product
- DescriptionThese are recipes from the times when everything was done by hand, there was electricity and refrigerators or packaged food always readily available from stores.
- Author BiographyI come from a cooking family. My grandmother was the oldest of 8. She learned to cook early and had to quit school in the 8th grade to help out at home. Food was raised and preserved for the winter. There was no electricity. Meat was dried, smoked or canned. I remember the butchering days when the neighbors would all come to the farm and help. The kids would play under the tables if they were not old enough to help. It was done in cold weather with snow on the ground. Grandma would watch the big iron kettle set up to render the fat into lard. This was done outside in the barnyard. Grandpa would sugar cure the hams and they would be hung in the smoke house. The lard would be stored in large metal cans with a tight fitting lid and stored in a cool place. Lard was used as the shortening for cooking. There was no vegetable oil or solid shortening. Butter was churned from the cream saved from the milk. The cream rises to the top of the milk when it sets. Homogenization prevents this from happening in the milk that we buy now. The first margarine was white and a packet of color came to mix in to make it yellow. I can remember her making her own cottage cheese. The cows were milked twice a day. Nothing was wasted and everything was made from scratch. She did not measure anything. Extra milk was fed to the pigs.
- Author(s)Mrs Martha Philbeck
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication22/12/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight449 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.