Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionTHIS IS NOT A HASTILY ASSEMBLED SCAN OR FACSIMILE EDITION OF THIS WORK. EVERY LETTER AND WORD OF THE ORIGINAL HAS BEEN RESET AND CAREFULLY PROOFED FOR ACCURACY. C. S. Lewis said, I kw hardly any other writer who seems to be closer, or more continually close, to the Spirit of Christ Himself. THE HOPE OF THE GOSPELS is a series of beautifully written sermons by one of the most prolific and celebrated Scottish writers and velists of the Victorian era -- George MacDonald (1824 - 1905). He was an internationally rewned speaker and author of faerie stories for adults and children who counted Mark Twain, Lewis Caroll, Ralph Waldo Emerson and John Greenleaf Whittier among his friends and admirers. Among his writings are Phantastes, At the Back of the North Wind, Sir Gibbie, The Princess and the Goblin, Lilith, and The Light Princess. He has been a major influence on writers of the 20th century, including G. K. Chesterton, W. H. Auden, Madeleine L'Engle and more. He directly influenced C. S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, and J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, and The Hobbit. In MacDonald's sermons and writings God never shouts. Rather, His is the urgent and insistent voice Elijah heard on the mount, t speaking from the great and strong wind, the earthquake or the fire. It is a still small voice that compels you to lean closer to learn the secret. But be warned! Only consider reading this book if you more deeply, more inexpressibly want to understand Holiness, because MacDonald will comfort you as he pulls the rug of pretensions out from under you. As he said, Man finds it hard to get what he wants because he does t want the best; God finds it hard to give, because he would give the best, and man will t take it. For readers familiar with MacDonald's fantasies, this is an opportunity to see the depths of his Christian thought as he lovingly explores the issues of salvation, the remission of sins, the Word made flesh, man's relationship to God and his fellow-men, the reward and the burden of obedience, pets and animals in the resurrection, and more. This would make a wonderful gift for a Pastor, Bible reader, Theology student, Seminarian, or anyone interested in the Christian walk and Holiness. It would also be an ideal gift for Christian home-schooled students.
- Author BiographyRoy A. Sites is a Summa Cum Laude graduate of The University of South Florida. He received the King-O'Neal Medal in 1984, the University's highest award for academic excellence, for his work in the Honor's Program in Psychology. He subsequently earned his Master of Liberal Arts degree through the Department of Humanities and taught at the University of South Florida for 5 years. Mr. Sites has a long standing interest in ancient, classical and medieval literature. His personal library of over 1000 volumes spans the years 3,000 B.C. to the present, with a heavy emphasis on ancient Greek & Roman literature, Medieval European and Arabic works, Early Church writings and contemporary Christian theology.
- Author(s)George MacDonald
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication17/06/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight150 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Introduction byRoy a Sites M L a
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.