All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWho might reasonably be minated as the funniest philosopher of all time? With this anthology, Thomas Oden provisionally declares Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)--despite his enduring stereotype as the melancholy, despairing Dane--as, among philosophers, the most amusing. Kierkegaard t only explored comic perception to its depths but also practiced the art of comedy as astutely as any writer of his time. This collection shows how his theory of comedy is integrated into his practice of comic perception, and how both are integral to his entire authorship. Kierkegaard's humor ranges from the droll to the rollicking; from farce to intricate, subtle analysis; from nimble stories to amusing aphorisms. In these pages you are invited to meet the wife of an author who burned her husband's manuscript and a businessman who, even with an abundance of calling cards, forgot his own name. You will hear of an interminable vacillator whom archeologists found still pacing thousands of years later, trying to come to a decision. Then there is the emperor who became a barkeeper in order to stay in the kw. The Humor of Kierkegaard is for anyone ready to be amused by human follies. Those new to Kierkegaard will discover a dazzling mind worth meeting. Those already familiar with his theory of comedy will be delighted to see it concisely set forth and exemplified. Others may have read Kierkegaard intensively without having ever really ticed his comic side. Here they will find what they have been missing.
- Author BiographyThomas C. Oden is Henry Anson Buttz Professor of Theology at Drew University. He is the author of many books, including The Rebirth of Orthodoxy , and General Editor of the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture .
- Author(s)Soren Kierkegaard
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication22/06/2004
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight485 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byThomas C. Oden
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.46
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.12
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $55.99
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.