CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.48Trending at AU $32.14
- AU $56.25Trending at AU $57.32
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.37
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $78.78
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $12.89Trending at AU $16.81
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $51.53
About this product
- DescriptionIn Buddhist myth, those that have desired too much in life may be reborn as hungry ghosts - spirits with a stomach so large they can never be full. Six year-old Shivan is boarded up in his grandmother's mansion in Sri Lanka. While civil unrest brews outside, Shivan is fighting small battles of his own: the matriarch of his mysterious family wants to groom him as heir to her vast and corrupt empire. Shivan stands helpless as she sidelines his mother and sister and evicts vulnerable families from their homes. Unwilling to carry the burden of her expectations, Shivan dreams of escape to the West. Yet ghosts will follow you across continents. As the years pass, and Shivan's sexuality gradually comes to light, events spiral out of control and threaten to separate him from his family once and for all.
- Author BiographyShyam Selvadurai was born in Colombo, Sri Lanka, in 1965 and moved to Canada with his family at the age of nineteen. He is the acclaimed author of Funny Boy, which was shortlisted for the Giller Prize and won the Books in Canada First Novel Award, Cinnamon Gardens and Swimming in the Monsoon Sea. The Hungry Ghosts was shortlisted for the Governor General's Literary Award for Fiction and longlisted for the DSC Prize for South Asian Literature. He lives in Toronto.
- Author(s)Shyam Selvadurai
- PublisherTelegram Books
- Date of Publication01/04/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTelegram Books
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine32 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.