All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Hunted Whale is a spectacular photographic exploration of the material culture of American whaling in the age of sail. Before the coming of steam and diesel ships with instruments of mechanized slaughter, the hunt was a relatively even contest between two wily mammals-man and the sperm whale. The danger that lurked in each hunt can be seen in the ultra-light cedar construction of the whale boat that the men beached on the living whale's back. The gnarled and twisted shapes of surviving harpoons document the tenacity of the hunters as well as the wounded whale's manic attempt to break free. Many aspects of the sperm whale's unusual physiology are illustrated here, as are the whaler's personal belongings: hats, gloves, and scrimshaw-the intricate carvings he made on the whale's teeth. Expertly curated and beautifully shot, this magnificent photo essay takes the viewer to the New England ports of a fledgling America as it struggled to dominate a global industry. Amazing facts, explanatory tes, and tales from the sea, representing the fruit of years of research, accompany James McGuane's over 250 masterful photographs. McGuane looks to identify the various motivations that turned ordinary men into whale hunters. He discovers adventure, greed, courage, escape, gullibility and igrance. The book also includes a riveting firsthand account of the hunt, excerpted from naturalist Robert Cushman Murphy's Logbook for Grace, a diary he kept of his time aboard the whaleship Daisy in 1912. With The Hunted Whale, McGuane delivers an engrossing and humane snapshot of a w-vanished age that helped forge the American nation as we kw it.
- Author BiographyJames McGuane is a master photographer and filmmaker as well as a blacksmith and sculptor. His work is frequently informed by things historical and nautical. He divides his time between his home in Greenwich Village, New York City, and Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
- Author(s)James P. McGuane
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication20/12/2013
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Note245 color photographs
- Weight1450 g
- Width244 mm
- Height287 mm
- Spine25 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $44.08Trending at AU $51.53
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $19.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.