Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $30.15Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
About this product
- DescriptionA topical, insightful investigation into a drug that has taken a ferocious grip on societies around the world - told by a man intimately acquainted with it. Luke Williams was a freelance journalist researching addiction to crystallised methamphetamine (commonly kwn as crystal meth or ice) when the worst possible thing happened - he became addicted himself. Over the next three months, he was seduced by the drug and descended into psychosis. This confronting and illuminating story charts Luke's recovery from the drug, and his investigation into its usage and prevalence in Australia and the Western world. In examining what led to his addiction, Luke also explores the social problems that surround ice, scrutinising whether its abuse is in fact an epidemic, with what we're experiencing w merely the tip of the proverbial iceberg, or yet ather moral panic about the underclass.Luke traces the history of methamphetamine from its legal usage in the early 20th century to its contemporary relevance as one of the most foreboding and talked-about illicit drugs in the world, and his search for answers sees him visiting meth labs, interviewing addicts and law-enforcement officials, and witnessing firsthand the effects of the drug on individuals, families, and the healthcare system. Combining memoir with reportage, The Ice Age is a vital, compelling first-person account, and an investigation into a drug that is fast becoming the subject of national discussion throughout the Western world.
- Author BiographyLuke Williams is an Australian journalist. He has previously worked as a reporter and broadcaster at ABC radio. His written work has been published in The Sydney Morning Herald, The Saturday Paper, the Brisbane Times, Crikey, The Global Mail, The Weekend Australian and Eureka Street. In 2013 he was nominated for a Human Rights Media Award for a long-form investigative piece in The Global Mail, and in 2014 his article on ice addiction, 'Life as a Crystal Meth Addict', was a finalist in the Walkley Awards for Excellence in Journalism.
- Author(s)Luke Williams
- PublisherScribe Publications
- Date of Publication27/04/2016
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationCarlton North
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2016
- ImprintScribe Publications
- Weight378 g
- Width148 mm
- Height214 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Most relevant reviews
- flyfoxx0920 Jun, 2016by
Ice Age book review
Seedy, articulate and a novel of the times!
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.