All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.70
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.13
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $76.03
- AU $12.62Trending at AU $18.61
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.38
About this product
- DescriptionA puzzling phone call shatters a writer's routine. An enigmatic female voice extends a dinner invitation, and it soon becomes clear that this is an invitation to take part in the documenta, the legendary exhibition of contemporary art held every five years in Kassel, Germany. The writer's mission will be to sit down to write every morning in a Chinese restaurant on the outskirts of town, transforming himself into a living art installation. Once in Kassel, the writer is surprised to find himself overcome by good cheer as he strolls through the city, spurred on by the endless supply of energy at the heart of the exhibition. This is his spontaneous, quirky response to art, rising up against pessimism.With humor, profundity, and a sharp eye, Enrique Vila-Matas tells the story of a solitary man, who, roaming the streets amid oddities and wonder, takes it upon himself to translate from a language he does t understand.
- Author BiographyEnrique Vila-Matas was born in Barcelona in 1948. His novels have been translated into eleven languages and honored by many prestigious literary awards including the Prix Medicis Etranger. Author of Bartleby & Co., Montano's Malady, and Never Any End to Paris, he has received Europe's most prestigious awards and been translated into twenty-seven languages. Anne McLean has won the Independent Foreign Fiction Prize twice, as well as the Premio Valle Inclan. She has translated the works of Javier Cercas, Julio Cortazar, Carmen Martin Gaite, Ignacio Padilla, and Evelio Rosero. Anna Milsom, b. 1951, is an acclaimed experimental artist.
- Author(s)Enrique Vila-Matas
- PublisherNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication26/06/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Weight250 g
- Width134 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Translated byAnne McLean,Anna Milsom
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.