All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an in-depth study of the history, ideology, culture and traditions of Islam, discussing the core beliefs, practices and sacred texts central to the religion, and the significance of holy sites, prayer, fasting and pilgrimage. It explores the rich cultural heritage of the Islamic world, with examples of the most spectacular artistic and architectural achievements shown in 1000 photographs. It includes an insightful overview of Islamic faith and teachings, and an exploration of the Quran, both as the revealed word of God and as a religious manuscript. It features a survey of beautiful design and architectural accomplishments, from calligraphy, ceramics and carpets to mosques, bazaars and palaces. It includes maps, fine-art paintings and a guide to the world's greatest museum collections of Islamic art today. This beautifully illustrated book explores the history, philosophy, traditions and teachings of Islam, as well as its exquisite calligraphy, fine-art paintings, ornaments and architecture. The first part explores the history, beliefs and worship practices of Muslim life, and the second part focuses on the rich heritage of art and architecture of the Islamic world, including Quran manuscripts, pottery, tiling, carvings, carpets, costumes, palaces and mosques. Gloriously illustrated with more than 1000 paintings, artworks, maps and photographs, the book offers an excellent overview of a complex religion and its artistic and architectural achievements.
- Author BiographyRaana Bokhari's PhD in Religious Studies is based at Lancaster University, UK. Her specialist research area is women and Islam, and she has lectured extensively in this field. Dr Mohammad Seddon is a lecturer in Islamic and Religious Studies in the Department of Theology and Religious Studies at the University of Chester, UK. His published works include British Muslims: Loyalty and Belonging, and British Muslims Between Assimilation and Segregation: Historical, Legal & Social Realities.
- Author(s)Dr. Mohammad Seddon,Raana Bokhari
- PublisherAnness Publishing
- Date of Publication31/03/2012
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLorenz Books
- Content Note1000 photographs
- Weight1451 g
- Width168 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.65Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.