All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Constitution may guarantee it. But religious freedom in America is, in fact, impossible. So argues this timely and icoclastic work by law and religion scholar Winnifred Sullivan. Sullivan uses as the backdrop for the book the trial of Warner vs. Boca Raton, a recent case concerning the laws that protect the free exercise of religion in America. The trial, for which the author served as an expert witness, concerned regulations banning certain memorials from a multiconfessional ndeminational cemetery in Boca Raton, Florida. The book portrays the unsuccessful struggle of Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish families in Boca Raton to preserve the practice of placing such religious artifacts as crosses and stars of David on the graves of the city-owned burial ground. Sullivan demonstrates how, during the course of the proceeding, citizens from all walks of life and religious backgrounds were harassed to define just what their religion is. She argues that their plight points up a shocking truth: religion cant be coherently defined for the purposes of American law, because everyone has different definitions of what religion is. Indeed, while religious freedom as a political idea was arguably once a force for tolerance, it has w become a force for intolerance, she maintains. A clear-eyed look at the laws created to protect religious freedom, this vigorously argued book offers a new take on a right deemed by many to be necessary for a free democratic society. It will have broad appeal t only for religion scholars, but also for anyone interested in law and the Constitution.
- Author BiographyWinnifred Fallers Sullivan is Associate Professor of Law and Director of the Law and Religion Program at the University of Buffalo, The State University of New York. She is also the author of Paying the Words Extra: Religious Discourse in the Supreme Court of the United States .
- Author(s)Winnifred Fallers Sullivan
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication03/04/2007
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note20 halftones.
- Weight485 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $28.12Trending at AU $33.22
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $20.37
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $36.74
- AU $41.99Trending at AU $45.13
- AU $49.12Trending at AU $65.26
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $22.07
- AU $49.56Trending at AU $56.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.