All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom his apprenticeship in the NSW Parliament to the last days of the Gillard government, this is the honest and real story of life in Australian politics. Passionate, vivid and immediate, full of insights and anecdotes, Rob Oakeshott tells it as it was. When the results of the 2010 federal elections became kwn, party had a majority in the House of Representatives - it was the first hung parliament for 40 years. So both the Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, and the Leader of the Opposition, Tony Abbott, set about wooing the independents - Tony Windsor, Rob Oakeshott, Bob Katter, Andrew Wilkie, and Adam Bandt of the Greens. In the end Julia Gillard stitched together an agreement with them to form government. When it was anunced, famously there was talk of a 'kinder, gentler polity'. That lasted for about one day. Rob Oakeshott, in his very candid and compelling memoir, relates the events leading up to this agreement and what happened thereafter when he and Windsor, in particular, proved themselves to be stauncher supporters of Julia Gillard than many of her party colleagues. He remembers moments of celebration and incidents of perfidy. But above all, we get to meet close up and personal the man who played such an important role in the 43rd Parliament.
- Author BiographyRob Oakeshott was the Independent member for Lyne in the House of Representatives from 2008.13. Prior to that, he had been a member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly, elected in 1996 as the National Party candidate. He left the party to become an Independent in 2002 and retained the seat until 2008. This is his first book.
- Author(s)Rob Oakeshott
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication28/05/2014
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight558 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Interest AgeFrom
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.