All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $34.26Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.39
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $83.65
- AU $13.32Trending at AU $15.85
- AU $17.70Trending at AU $19.68
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.31
About this product
- DescriptionDan O'Brien's earlier award-winning vel The Contract Surgeon introduced readers to Valentine McGillycuddy, a friend of the great war chief Crazy Horse. Through McGillycuddy's eyes, the vel recounts the friendship that so deeply impacted history. It also chronicles the great Sioux Wars, one of the most violent periods in this nation's history. The Indian Agent is the riveting sequel to The Contract Surgeon. After Crazy Horse's death, McGillycuddy went on to become the youngest agent in history for the Red Cloud Agency, renamed the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, of the Oglala Lakota band of the Sioux. Although Red Cloud and McGillycuddy have diametrically opposing views, they have more in common than either suspects. They both love the land, and they both love the past. The politics and the ermous tensions of the early days on the reservation come to life here in fascinating detail, as McGillycuddy (kwn as the most investigated man in the government) urges the Sioux to adopt a life of farming. Because he had lived on the vast plains with them, white man knew better what the Sioux had given up-or understood more fully the impossibility of returning to the old life. Full of the dynamic history of the plains, The Indian Agent is the true story of the conversion of this land from one of free madic people to one of settled commerce-achieved, however, at an unfathomable cost.
- Author BiographyDan O'Brien is the author of numerous novels and memoirs, including Buffalo for the Broken Heart: Restoring Life to a Black Hills Ranch, winner of the Western Heritage Award and selected as the 2009 One Book South Dakota winner. His novels Stolen Horses, Equinox, and The Contract Surgeon are available from the University of Nebraska Press.
- Author(s)Dan O'Brien
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2011
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationNebraska
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBison Books
- Content Note5 maps, 1 chronology
- Weight444 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.