All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
About this product
- DescriptionThe Defense of Insanity, The World Over is the 10th in a series of books that examines and compares social issues or social problems from an explicitly comparative perspective. This volume examines and compares the criteria and procedures surrounding the defense of insanity across twenty-two countries. In addition to the criteria for each of the countries, Simon and Ahn-Redding report the burden of proof; whether this burden is on the side of the defense or the prosecution; the degree, beyond a reasonable doubt or by a preponderance of the evidence; the form the verdict takes; who typically decides, a judge or a jury; what role experts play in the proceedings; and what happens to the defendant if he or she is found t guilty by reason of insanity. The Defense of Insanity, The World Over provides a history of the defense of insanity going as far back as ancient Greek and Roman societies including the development of the defense in modern legal codes beginning with the British criteria in 1265. This one-of-a-kind study also looks at how the defense of insanity is treated in Jewish and Islamic law. Simon and Ahn-Redding have crafted an expert study that will appeal to scholar of sociology, criminal justice, and international studies.
- Author BiographyRita J. Simon is a University Professor in the School of Public Affairs and the Washington College of Law at American University. She is the author and editor of numerous books, including Women's Roles and Statuses the World Over (with Stephanie Hepburn, Lexington Books, 2006), and Adoption Across Borders (with Howard Altstein, Rowman and Littlefield, 2000). Heather Ahn-Redding is an Assistant Professor at Elon University. She is also the author ofThe Crimes Women Commit, The Punishments They Receive (with Rita J. Simon, Lexington Books, 2005).
- Author(s)Heather Ahn-Redding,Rita J. Simon
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication28/06/2006
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleGlobal Perspectives on Social Issues
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight531 g
- Width164 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.