All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1958, 1976, and 1985, Argentina experienced severe imbalances of its external accounts, which led to attempts at ecomic stabilization through an agreement with the International Monetary Fund. This book examines these IMF-supported programs and their success in alleviating Argentina's ecomic problems. Luigi Manzetti explores three aspects of the issue: the programs' impact on the Argentine ecomy from a policy management perspective; the methods by which different political regimes coped with similar problems and the level of their success; and the relationship between ecomic stabilization and political institutions, with particular emphasis on why IMF-supported programs encounter problems and how these problems can be overcome. Exploring the previously overlooked relationship between ecomic and public policies, Manzetti begins his study by examining the balance of payments problems that afflict developing countries along with the role played by the IMF in solving them. He assesses IMF involvement both in terms of ecomic theory and policy recommendations, portraying the academic debate that for years has surrounded the IMF. The peculiarities of the Argentine case are outlined, as are contending interpretations of the country's chronic ecomic crises. A set of three chapters fully details the stabilization plans of the Frondizi, Videla, and Alfonsin administrations. Finally, a concluding chapter argues that wrong assumptions by the IMF and the mistakes of Argentina's policy makers were responsible for the limited success of the programs. This work will be an important reference tool for courses in ecomic development and Latin American studies, as well as a useful resource for academic and professional libraries.
- Author BiographyLUIGI MANZETTI is Assistant Professor of Political Science at Southern Methodist University. He is the author of journal articles on Latin American economics and politics.
- Author(s)Luigi Manzetti
- Date of Publication18/07/1991
- SubjectFinance & Accounting
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight537 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.