All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $26.75Trending at AU $27.54
- AU $69.99Trending at AU $71.27
- AU $25.33Trending at AU $28.27
- AU $31.38Trending at AU $33.57
- AU $12.37Trending at AU $13.00
- AU $48.45Trending at AU $49.18
- AU $11.33Trending at AU $13.39
About this product
- DescriptionToday's Arctic communities have all the comforts of modern living. Yet the Inuit survived in this harsh landscape for hundreds of years with thing but the land and their own ingenuity. Join authors Alootook Ipellie and David MacDonald as they explore the amazing invations of traditional Inuit and how their ideas continue to echo around the world. Some inventions are still familiar to us: the one-person watercraft kwn as a kayak still retains its Inuit name. Other invations have been replaced by modern techlogy: slitted sw goggles protected Inuit eyes long before sunglasses arrived on the scene. Andother ideas were surprisingly inspired: using human-shaped stone stacks (Inunnguat) to trick and trap caribou. Many more Inuit invations are explored here, including: * Dog sleds * Shelter * Clothing * Kids' stuff * Food preservation * Medicine. In all, more than 40 Inuit items and ideas are showcased through dramatic photos and captivating language. From how these objects were made, to their impact on contemporary culture, The Inuit Thought of It is a remarkable catalogue of Inuit invention.
- Author BiographyAlootook Ipellie is an Inuit artist, writer and poet who contributes regularly to the Nunavut News. Born and raised near Frobisher Bay on Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic, he lives in Ottawa. David MacDonald is a freelance editor and the author of several educational books for young readers. He lives in Toronto.
- Author(s)Alootook Ipellie
- PublisherAnnick Press Ltd
- Date of Publication24/09/2007
- SubjectReference & Home Learning
- Series TitleWe Thought of it
- Place of PublicationOntario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintAnnick Press Ltd
- Content Notefull colour illustrations, b+w photographs
- Weight314 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Illustrator(s)Liz Amini-Holmes
- Format DetailsPicture book
- Interest AgeFrom 9
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.