All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOrphan, clock keeper and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender and spellbinding mystery.
- Author BiographyBrian Selznick is the Caldecott Medalwinning author and illustrator of the #1 New York Times bestsellers Wonderstruck and The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which was adapted into Martin Scorsese s Oscar-winning movie Hugo. His latest book, The Marvels (September 2015), has already received numerous starred reviews and been hailed by the Huffington Post as a gorgeous work of art. Selznick s books have garnered accolades worldwide and have been translated into over thirty-five languages. He has also worked as a set designer and a puppeteer. He lives in San Diego, California, and Brooklyn, New York.
- PrizesWinner of Caldecott Medal 2008. Shortlisted for Independent Booksellers' Week Book of the Year Award: Children's Book of the Year 2008 and United States National Book Awards: Young People's Literature 2007.
- Author(s)Brian Selznick
- PublisherScholastic US
- Date of Publication01/04/2007
- SubjectYoung Adult Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScholastic US
- Out-of-print date02/08/2011
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1194 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine46 mm
- Illustrator(s)Brian Selznick
- Reading AgeFrom 8 To 12
Most relevant reviews
- j9richo09 Feb, 2012by
A book that will keep and child reading!
This is a review from a mother who has a child who struggles with finding the motivation to read. It was on his booklist this year for Yr 7 and I told him to take it with him on our holidays. I could not believe my eyes when he read the whole book in a couple of days while on holidays!!! He thoroughly enjoyed the book and then asked to see the movie when we got back. His comment after the movie - "the book was better"!!
- rumbaber21 Jan, 2012by
Beautiful book. Stunning illustrations. Great for all types of readers.
One of the most visually interesting and beautiful books I have seen in a long time. The story line is written well enough to keep you reading and wanting to find out the ending but it is the pictures that 'sell' the story. Don't be put off by the size of the book - a lot of it are pictures that used instead of words and they advance the story without the need for words. A great product especially for people who love pictures almost as much as they love books but also for reluctant readers. There are so many pictures that a struggling or reluctant reader would find themselves absorbed in the story and then trying harder to read the pages of words between the pictures. Beautiful work of art.
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $89.29Trending at AU $102.55
- AU $13.45Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $49.72Trending at AU $53.97
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $18.87
- AU $10.00Trending at AU $11.94
- AU $7.38Trending at AU $10.69
- AU $8.88Trending at AU $12.41