Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.67
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.70
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.43
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $78.40
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.51
About this product
- DescriptionThe Invention of Motheist Ethics, Volume II presents a comprehensive analysis of the Biblical Book of Samuel. Usually taken to be a socio-political history of ancient Israel during a turbulent century of change, The Invention of Motheist Ethics contends that beneath this surface level the true focus of Samuel is a profound appraisal of power, its seductive appeal and its drastic limitations. Thus Samuel emerges as a radical critique of our power-based world, and the way we, its inhabitants, order our lives. Taken together with the contention that the Book of Samuel was written by a woman, the Biblical book emerges as a woman's critique of a man's world. This assessment concludes by proposing an alternative to the world we kw: a world based on care and concern. Relying on recent sociological studies, this work explores the ramifications of an ethic based on care rather than justice.
- Author BiographyHillel I. Millgram currently resides in Jerusalem. He was born in the United States, was ordained at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, and served in pulpits in the U.S. and Canada. He now combines research and writing with teaching graduate courses on the Bible. His last book, Three Biblical Heroines and the Case for Female Authorship, has been highly acclaimed. The Invention of Monotheist Ethics continues his explorations into the origins and deeper meaning of Biblical narrative.
- Author(s)Hillel I. Millgram
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication04/12/2009
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight535 g
- Width182 mm
- Height256 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.