All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the celebrated author ofThe Secret Life of Bees, a magnificent vel about two unforgettable American women Writing at the height of her narrative and imaginative gifts, Sue Monk Kidd presents a masterpiece of hope, daring, the quest for freedom, and the desire to have a voice in the world and it is w the newest Oprah s Book Club 2.0 selection. Hetty Handful Grimke, an urban slave in early nineteenth century Charleston, yearns for life beyond the suffocating walls that enclose her within the wealthy Grimke household. The Grimke s daughter, Sarah, has kwn from an early age she is meant to do something large in the world, but she is hemmed in by the limits imposed on women. Kidd s sweeping vel is set in motion on Sarah s eleventh birthday, when she is given ownership of ten year old Handful, who is to be her handmaid. We follow their remarkable journeys over the next thirty five years, as both strive for a life of their own, dramatically shaping each other s destinies and forming a complex relationship marked by guilt, defiance, estrangement and the uneasy ways of love. As the stories build to a riveting climax, Handful will endure loss and sorrow, finding courage and a sense of self in the process. Sarah will experience crushed hopes, betrayal, unrequited love, and ostracism before leaving Charleston to find her place alongside her fearless younger sister, Angelina, as one of the early pioneers in the abolition and women s rights movements. Inspired by the historical figure of Sarah Grimke, Kidd goes beyond the record to flesh out the rich interior lives of all of her characters, both real and invented, including Handful s cunning mother, Charlotte, who courts danger in her search for something better. This exquisitely written vel is a triumph of storytelling that looks with unswerving eyes at a devastating wound in American history, through women whose struggles for liberation, empowerment, and expression will leave reader unmoved.
- Author BiographySue Monk Kidd is the award-winning and bestselling author of the novelsThe Secret Life of BeesandThe Mermaid Chair. She is also the author of several acclaimed memoirs, including theNew York TimesbestsellerTraveling with Pomegranates, written with her daughter Ann Kidd Taylor. She lives in Florida.
- Author(s)Sue Monk Kidd
- PublisherViking Books
- Date of Publication07/01/2014
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintViking Books
- Weight635 g
- Width165 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.18Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $20.36Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.