All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $71.78
- AU $89.64Trending at AU $91.04
- AU $41.00Trending at AU $52.74
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $14.87
- AU $12.29Trending at AU $17.38
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.74
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $24.26
About this product
- DescriptionCombining the authenticity of reportage with the emotional intensity of an extraordinary imagination, The Inventory is a profoundly unsettling account of the effects of Nazi paraia upon every segment of German society. Writing with piercing clarity and searing irony, Gila Lustiger weaves together the tales of ordinary people swept up in a society where brutal oppression and extermination are everyday events. Amid the routine of daily life--with its flirtations and quarrels, longings and disappointments--the mechanism of persecution spares one: A rewned opera singer is savagely beaten for suspicion of homosexuality; a mother writes to the Ghetto Administration for a good deal on penknives confiscated from Jewish deportees; a student is tortured by the Gestapo for a vague association with the Young Socialist Workers; a husband files for divorce when his wife shops at a Jewish-owned store. Intersecting stories of common citizens, both sinned against and sinning, reveal uncanny, entwined relationships in a nation where one remains untouched by suspicion and fear, where respectable housewives become informants and saviors, and children become protectors and abusers. A masterly display of bravura virtuosity, The Inventory is the final, terrible account of how all--old and young, affluent and destitute, the pampered and neglected--were transformed by oppression and tyranny. Proclaimed a classic in Germany, this unforgettable vel establishes Gila Lustiger as one of contemporary literature's most important voices. Skyhorse Publishing, as well as our Arcade, Yucca, and Good Books imprints, are proud to publish a broad range of books for readers interested in fiction--vels, vellas, political and medical thrillers, comedy, satire, historical fiction, romance, erotic and love stories, mystery, classic literature, folklore and mythology, literary classics including Shakespeare, Dumas, Wilde, Cather, and much more. While t every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked and to authors whose work might t otherwise find a home.
- Author BiographyGila Lustiger was born in Frankfurt, Germany, in 1963 and educated at Hebrew University in Jerusalem. Since 1987 she has lived in Paris with her husband, the French poet Emmanuel Moses, and their two children.
- Author(s)Gila Lustiger
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication19/11/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintArcade Publishing
- Weight318 g
- Width140 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated byRebecca Morrison
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.