CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.84
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.70
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $35.01
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.14
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $35.87
- AU $28.96Trending at AU $38.89
About this product
- DescriptionLucid, complex, sensual and richly textured, the poems in The Invisible Mender are table for the breadth of their subject matter and the precision of their detail. We travel on journeys through landscapes dense with historical and political meanings, from the post-industrial decline of frozen North America to the stymied fecundity of a London garden paralysed in a heatwave: each emotional and physical climate explored and illuminated by the writer's astonishing images and searching intelligence. This is the work of unusual power and frankness, unflinching in its steady examination of grief and love, as in the heartbreaking title poem about the poet's loss of her first mother. But here, and in the magnificent long poem 'The Hearing Cure' this explicit engagement with what is difficult also reveals the redemptive, healing force of language. Sarah Maguire's outstanding first collection of poems, Spilt Milk, was published to considerable critical acclaim and led to her being chosen as one of the New Generation Poets. The Invisible Mender, her eagerly awaited second volume, will confirm her reputation as one of the most exciting young poets in Britain.
- Author BiographyBorn in 1957, Sarah Maguire has published three collections of poetry, Spilt Milk, The Invisible Mender and The Florist's at Midnight, as well as the anthology Flora Poetica: The Chatto Book of Botanical Verse. Her fourth collection, The Pomegranates of Kandahar, will be published in June 2007. She is the founder and director of the Poetry Translation Centre at SOAS, and she has lived all her life in west London.
- Author(s)Sarah Maguire
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication29/05/1997
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJonathan Cape Ltd
- Weight100 g
- Width132 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine7 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.