All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Iron Brigade is one of the most celebrated military organisations of the American Civil War. Although it is primarily kwn for its remarkable stand on the first bloody day at Gettysburg, its stellar service from the earliest days of the war all the way to Appomattox Court House is routinely igred. The Iron Brigade in the Civil War is based on decades of archival research and includes scores of previously unpublished letters, photos, journals, and other primary accounts. This well researched and written tour de force, which includes reunion and memorial coverage until the final expiration of the last surviving member, will be the last word on the Iron Brigade for the foreseeable future. When we were young , explained one Black Hat veteran many years after the war, we hardly realised that we had fought on more fields of battle than the Old Guard of Napoleon, and have stood fire in far greater firmness. Here, at long last, is the full story of how young farm boys, shopkeepers, river men and piney camp boys in a brigade forged with iron helped save the Union. About the Author Lance J. Herdegen is the award-winning author of several books on Civil War topics. His latest work, Those Damned Black Hats: The Iron Brigade in the Gettysburg Campaign, won the Army Historical Foundation's Distinguished Writing Award. Lance is the former director of the Institute for Civil War Studies at Carroll University and presently chairs the Wisconsin Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission. He was recently inducted into the Milwaukee Press Club's Hall of Fame and lives in Spring Prairie, Walworth County, Wisconsin.
- Author BiographyAward-winning journalist Lance J. Herdegen is the former director of the Institute of Civil War Studies at Carroll University. He previously worked as a reporter and editor for the United Press International (UPI) news service covering national politics and civil rights. He presently is an historical consultant for the Civil War Museum of the Upper Middle West.
- Author(s)Lance J. Herdegen
- PublisherSavas Beatie
- Date of Publication15/06/2012
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationEl Dorado Hills
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSavas Beatie
- Content Note68 b/w photos throughout and 15 maps
- Weight1043 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine43 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.72
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $33.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.