All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExplanations of naturalization and jus soli citizenship have relied on cultural, convergence, racialization, or capture theories, and they tend to be strongly affected by the literature on immigration. This study of naturalization breaks with the usual immigration theories and proposes an approach over centuries and decades toward explaining naturalization rates. First, it provides consistent evidence to support the long-term existence of colonizer, settler, n-colonizer, and Nordic nationality regime types that frame naturalization over centuries. Second it shows how left and green parties, along with an index of nationality laws, explain the lion's share of variation in naturalization rates. The text makes these theoretical claims believable by using the most extensive data set to date on naturalization rates that include jus soli births. It analyzes this data with a combination of carefully designed case studies comparing two to four countries within and between regime types.
- Author BiographyThomas Janoski is Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Kentucky. He is the author of Citizenship and Civil Society (1998) and The Political Economy of Unemployment. He is lead editor of The Handbook of Political Sociology (with Alexander Hicks, Mildred Schwartz, and the late Robert Alford) and co-editor of The Comparative Political Economy of the Welfare State (with Alexander Hicks).
- Author(s)Thomas Janoski
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication23/08/2010
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note5 b/w illus. 28 tables
- Weight600 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine24 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.85Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.