CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionAcross the Island, houses, forts, castles and monuments have fallen victim to the passage of time. Sometimes the only clue that they ever existed is in a name, Wilkes Street - where John Wilkes had a seaside villa in Sandown, or Nash Avenue - where John Nash built his retirement home at East Cowes Castle. What did they look like and what stands there w? Contrasting a selection of forty-five outstanding archive images alongside stunning full-colour modern photographs, this book reveals the changing face of the Island's town's and villages during the last century. Each picture is accompanied by a detailed caption, bringing the past to life and describing many aspects of life on the Island, including shops and business, pubs and sports, providing a vital record of vanished vistas and past practices. As well as delighting the many tourists who visit the Island, The Isle of Wight Then & Now will provide present occupants with a stalgic glimpse of how the Island used to be.
- Author BiographyJan Toms is the author of The Little Book of the Isle of Wight and has also written articles for Island Life magazine, and the on-line magazine Suite 101. Jan has recently taught creative writing for adult males in Camp Hill Prison.
- Author(s)Jan Toms
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication20/01/2015
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note90 colour illustrations
- Weight320 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.