All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.93
About this product
- DescriptionDaniel Waley and Trevor Dean illustrate how, from the eleventh century onwards, many dozens of Italian towns achieved independence as political entities, unhindered by any centralising power. Until the fourteenth century, when the regimes of individual 'tyrants' took over in most towns, these communes were the scene of a precocious, and very well-documented, experiment in republican self-government. Focusing on the typical medium-sized towns rather than the better-kwn cities, the authors draw on a rich variety of contemporary material (both documentary and literary) to portray the world of the communes, illustrating the patriotism and public spirit as well as the equally characteristic factional strife which was to tear them apart. Discussion of the artistic and social lives of the inhabitants shows how these towns were the seed-bed of the cultural achievements of the early Renaissance. In this fourth edition, Trevor Dean has expanded the book's treatment of religion, women, housing, architecture and art, to take account of recent trends in the abundant historiography of these topics. A new selection of illuminating images has been included, and the bibliography brought up to date. Both students and the general reader interested in Italian history, literature and art will find this accessible book a rewarding and fascinating read.
- Author BiographyDaniel Waley was Professor of History at the London School of Economics from 1970 to 1972, before becoming Keeper of Manuscripts at the British Library. He retired in 1986. Trevor Dean is Professor of Medieval History at University of Roehampton. His recent books include Crime and Criminal Justice in Late Medieval Italy (2007), Crime in Medieval Europe (2001) and The Towns of Italy in the later Middle Ages (2000), a volume of translated primary texts.
- Author(s)Daniel Philip Waley,Trevor Dean
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication18/12/2009
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight418 g
- Width158 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement4th Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.