All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn extraordinary book that looks at one of the greatest cover-ups in history. The myth of Dionysus bears startling resemblances to the the story of Jesus Christ. It compares with the biblical story in the following ways: * Dionysus is God made flesh and is hailed as the 'Saviour of Mankind' and the 'Son of God' * His father is God and and his mother is a mortal virgin who afterwards becomes worshipped as the 'Mother of God' * He is born in a cowshed * He drives out demons, turns water into wine and and raises people from the dead * He rides triumphantly into town while people wave palms to hour him The date revered by the first Christians as Jesus' birthday was originally that of Dionysus, also the three day Spring Festival of Dionysus celebrating his death and resurrection coincides with the Christian festival of Easter. The last Supper and the Eucharist are also parallel Dionysian rites. This is t common kwledge as the story was a closely guarded secret of the Pagan mysteries. Secondly the evidence of Christianity's pagan roots were systematically covered up the Roman Church. The comparisons between the the Christian story and the Dionysian myths have been mentioned by many scholars. Tim Freke and Peter Gandy have taken the next step and thought the unthinkable -- that Christianity was a Jewish Mystery School modelled on the ancient Pagan mysteries. In writing this book the authors are in way wishing to diminish the Christian tradition, but are placing it within its true spirtual context. This book does challenge the views of the Christian fundamentalists, but it will be welcomed by many others Christians who have have kwn of the interconnectedness of Christianity with other ancient spiritual traditions.
- Author BiographyPeter Gandy is a classical scholar with a particular interest in ancient Western spiritual traditions. He is currently studying for an MA in classical civilization at London University. He has been researching this subject intensively for over 5 years. He is the author of 'The Complete Guide to World Mysticism' and 'Hermetica'. Tim Freke is an authority on world spirituality. His books include: The Illustrated World Scriptures, Tao Te Ching and Principles of Native American Spirituality. He worked with Alan Aeira on the famous documentary on the Kogi people of Colombia.
- Author(s)Peter Gandy,Timothy Freke
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication06/04/1999
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Out-of-print date18/10/2003
- Content Notecolour and b&w illustrations
- Weight610 g
- Width160 mm
- Height241 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.