All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- Description<b>Reclaiming the just war tradition</b></p> Politicians, pundits, and scholars have cited the principles of just war to defend military actions from Iraq to Afghanistan to Libya. Other politicians, pundits, and scholars have cited just war principles to <i>condemn</i> those same military interventions. How can the same tradition lead to such sharply opposing conclusions? What <i>is </i>the just war tradition, and why is it important today? Authors David D. Corey and J. Daryl Charles answer those questions in this insightful exploration. A fascinating blend of history, theology, and political philosophy, <b><i>The Just War Tradition: An Introduction</i></b> traces the development of the tradition from its inception nearly two millennia ago. Corey and Charles illuminate how the various voices within the tradition--from Augustine and Aquinas, to Luther and Calvin, to Suarez and Locke, up to present-day commentators--relate to one ather and to rival ways of understanding war and peace. While the just war tradition cant be reduced to a checklist, a bare catalog of criteria that must be fulfilled for war to be just, Corey and Charles reveal why this rich tradition provides the <i>only</i> framework for evaluating the moral particulars of coercive force. Their invaluable book reintroduces the wisdom that is desperately needed in our national debates.
- Author Biography<b>David D. Corey</b> teaches political philosophy at Baylor University. His teaching and scholarship focus on major figures in the history of political thought, the ethics of war, and questions relating to method in political philosophy.</p><b>J. Daryl Charles</b> is director and senior fellow of the Bryan Institute for Critical Thought and Practice. He is author, coauthor, or coeditor of ten other books, including <i>War, Peace, and Christianity</i> and <i>Between Pacifism and Jihad</i>.
- Author(s)David D. Corey,J. Daryl Charles
- PublisherISI Books
- Date of Publication15/05/2012
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationWilmington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintISI Books
- Weight572 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.