All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- Description<em>The Killing Zone: The United States Wages Cold War in Latin America</em>, Second Edition, is a comprehensive yet concise analysis of U.S. policies in Latin America during the Cold War. Author Stephen G. Rabe, a leading authority in the field, argues that the sense of joy and accomplishment that accompanied the end of the Cold War, the liberation of Eastern Europe, and the collapse of the Soviet Union must be tempered by the realization that Latin Americans paid a ghastly price during the Cold War. Dictatorship, authoritarianism, the methodical abuse of human rights, and campaigns of state terrorism characterized life in Latin America between 1945 and 1989. Countries such as Argentina, Brazil, Chile, El Salvador, and Guatemala endured appalling levels of political violence. The U.S. repeatedly intervened in the internal affairs of Latin American nations in the name of anticommunism, destabilizing constitutional governments and aiding and abetting those who murdered and tortured. Rabe supplements his strong, provocative historical narrative with stories about the fates of ordinary Latin Americans, an extensive chrology, a series of evocative photographs, and an antated bibliography.
- Author Biography<strong>Stephen G. Rabe</strong> is the Ashbel Smith Professor of History at The University of Texas at Dallas. He is the author of several books, including <em>John F. Kennedy: World Leader</em> (2010), <em>U.S. Intervention in British Guiana: A Cold War Story </em>(2005), and <em>The Most Dangerous Area in the World: John F. Kennedy</em><em>Confronts Communist Revolution in Latin America </em>(1999).
- Author(s)Ashbel Smith Chair in History Stephen G Rabe
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication10/04/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statement2nd annotated edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.