All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.25
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.47
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $103.42
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.47
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.41
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.60
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $23.55
About this product
- Description[Ryman] has t so much created as revealed a world in which the promise of redemption takes seed even in horror. -The Boston Globe Sweeping and beautiful...The complex story tears the veil from a hidden world. -The Sunday Times Irdinately readable ...extraordinary in its detail, color and brutality. -The Independent Ryman has crafted a solid historical vel with an authentic feel for both ancient and modern Cambodia. -Washington DC City Paper Ather masterpiece by one of the greatest fiction writers of our time. -Kim Stanley Robinson Ryman's knack for depicting characters; his ability to tell multiple, interrelated stories; and his kwledge of Cambodian history create a rich narrative that looks at Cambodia's killing fields both recent and ancient and Buddhist belief with its desire for transcendence. Recommended for all literary fiction collections. -Library Journal Archeologist Luc Andrade discovers an ancient Cambodian manuscript inscribed on gold leaves but is kidnapped-and the manuscript stolen-by a faction still loyal to the ideals of the brutal Pol Pot regime. Andrade's friends, an ex-Khmer Rouge agent and a young motoboy, embark on a trek across Cambodia to rescue him. Meanwhile, Andrade, bargaining for his life, translates the lost manuscript for his captors. The result is a glimpse into the tremendous and heart-wrenching story of King Jayavarman VII: his childhood, rise to power, marriage, interest in Buddhism, and the initiation of Cambodia's golden age. As Andrade and Jayavarman's stories interweave, the question becomes whether the tale of ancient wisdom can bring hope to a nation still suffering from the violent legacy of the last century. Geoff Ryman is the author of the vels Air (winner of Arthur C Clarke and James Tiptree awards) and The Unconquered Country (a World Fantasy Award winner). Canadian by birth, he has lived in Cambodia and Brazil and w teaches creative writing at the University of Manchester in England.
- Author BiographyGeoff Ryman is the author of the novels Air (Clarke and Tiptree Award winner) and The Unconquered Country (World Fantasy Award winner). Canadian by birth, he has lilved in Cambodia and Brazil and now teaches creative writing at the University of Manchester in England.
- Author(s)Geoff Ryman
- PublisherSmall Beer Press
- Date of Publication09/10/2008
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNorthampton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBig Mouth House
- Weight514 g
- Width142 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine40 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.