Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.18
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $105.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.32
About this product
- DescriptionIn The Land of Weddings and Rain, Gediminas Lankauskas examines the components of the contemporary urban wedding - religious and civil ceremonies, traditional imagery and practices, and the conspicuous consumption of domestic and imported goods - in the context of the Western-style modernization of post-socialist Lithuania. Studying the tensions between tradition and modernity that surround this important ritual event, Lankauskas highlights the ways in which nationalism serves to negotiate the impact of modernity in the aftermath of state socialism's collapse. His analysis also shows the importance of consumption and commodification to Lithuania's ongoing Westernization. Based on more than a decade of ethgraphic research, The Land of Weddings and Rain is a fascinating account of the tensions - between national and transnational, East and West, and old and new - that shape life in post-socialist Eastern Europe.
- Author BiographyGediminas Lankauskas is an associate professor in the Department of Anthropology at the University of Regina.
- Author(s)Gediminas Lankauskas
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication09/01/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleAnthropological Horizons
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note16, 1 map
- Weight500 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.