All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
About this product
- DescriptionRecent developments in the European integration process have raised, amongst many other things, the issue of linguistic diversity, for some a stumbling block to the creation of a European democratic polity and its legal and social institutions. The solution to the 'question of language', involves an understanding of the role played by natural languages and the consequent design of policies and institutional mechanisms to facilitate inter-linguistic and intercultural communication. This is t an exclusively European problem, and r is it entirely new, for it is also the problem of linguistic majorities and mirities within unitary nation-states. However, the effects of globalization and the diffusion of multiculturalism within nation-states have given renewed emphasis to the question of language in diverse societies. Facing the question anew involves reconsidering traditional ideas about social communication and the public sphere, about opinion-formation and diffusion, about the protection of cultural and linguistic mirities, and about the role that language plays in the process of formation of political and legal cultures. This volume is intended as a multidisciplinary contribution towards studying and assessing the range of problems that form the 'language question' in Europe and diverse societies.
- Author BiographyDario Castiglione teaches Political Theory at the University of Exeter. His main research interests are in the history and theory of political thought and European constitutionalism. Christopher Longman is Deputy Director of the Centre for European Studies at the University of Exeter. His research interests include: the politics of cultural diversity and the construction of European identity; language and politics in the EU; and European political integration.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication12/03/2007
- SubjectEU Law: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleOnati International Series in Law and Society
- Series Part/Volume Number21
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2007
- ImprintHart Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight424 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byChristopher Longman,Dario Castiglione
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.