All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis invative text examines videogames and gaming from the point of view of discourse analysis. In particular, it studies two major aspects of videogame-related communication: the ways in which videogames and their makers convey meanings to their audiences, and the ways in which gamers, industry professionals, journalists and other stakeholders talk about games. In doing so, the book offers systematic analyses of games as artefacts and activities, and the discourses surrounding them. Focal areas explored in this book include: * aspects of videogame textuality and how games relate to other texts * the formation of lexical terms and use of metaphor in the language of gaming * gamer slang and 'buddylects' * the construction of game worlds and their rules, of gamer identities and communities * dominant discourse patterns among gamers and how they relate to the nature of gaming * the multimodal language of games and gaming * the ways in which ideologies of race, gender, media effects and language are constructed. Informed by the very latest scholarship and illustrated with topical examples throughout, The Language of Gaming is ideal for students of applied linguistics, videogame studies and media studies who are seeking a wide-ranging introduction to the field.
- Author BiographyASTRID ENSSLIN Senior Lecturer inDigital Humanitiesat Bangor University,UK. She is the Principal Editor of Journal of Gaming and Virtual Worlds. Her publications include Creating Second Lives: Community, Identity and Spatiality as Constructions of the Virtual (2011), Canonizing Hypertext: Explorations and Constructions (2007) and Language in the Media: Representations, Identities, Ideologies (2007).
- Author(s)Astrid Ensslin
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication29/11/2011
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight349 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine13 mm
Save on Other
- AU $19.08Trending at AU $20.98
- AU $33.13Trending at AU $33.96
- AU $33.34Trending at AU $35.62
- AU $41.65Trending at AU $42.48
- AU $4.06Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $14.95Trending at AU $15.55
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.