The Last Communist Virgin by Associate Professor Ping Wang, Wang Ping (Paperback / softback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.54Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $13.14Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWang Ping's The Last Communist Virgin is a beauty of a collection. She has interwoven the earthiness of China and the harshness of immigrant life . . . to create a series of short stories that are at once pitiful, heartbreaking, funny, and deeply inspiring.-Lisa See, author of Sw Flower and the Secret Fan From the restaurants of New York's Chinatown to the retail emporium of Bergdorf Goodman, and from remote Chinese military outposts to the streets of Beijing, the tremors of China's rapid ecomic and cultural growth can be felt. As the characters in these stories struggle to find their way, a young girl discovers love amidst a sea of angry Red Guards, migrs navigate New York's relentless rat race, an ambitious businesswoman finds the meaning of success in her rival, and an old man returns to a Beijing he doesn't recognize on a mission to restore his son-in-law's flagging hor. Moving smoothly across political, cultural, and personal borders and between countries, continents, and languages, these stories open a window into the rapid transformations of an ancient culture and the soul's thirst for adventure and harmony in a quickly changing world. Wang Ping was born in Shanghai and grew up on a small island in the East China Sea. After three years spent farming in a mountain village commune, she attended Beijing University. In 1985 she left China to study in the United States, earning her PhD from New York University. She is the acclaimed author of the short story collection American Visa, the vel Foreign Devil, two poetry collections: Of Flesh & Spirit and The Magic Whip, and the cultural study Aching for Beauty: Footbinding in China. She w lives in St. Paul, Minnesota, and teaches at Macalester College. Visit her website at www.wangping.com.
- Author BiographyWang Ping was born in Shanghai and grew up on a small island in the East China Sea. After three years spent farming in a mountain village commune, she attended Beijing University. In 1985 she left China to study in the United States, earning her PhD from New York University. She is the acclaimed author of the short story collection American Visa, the novel Foreign Devil, two poetry collections: Of Flesh & Spirit and The Magic Whip, and the cultural study Aching for Beauty: Footbinding in China.
- Author(s)Associate Professor Ping Wang,Wang Ping
- PublisherCoffee House Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2007
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintCoffee House Press
- Weight218 g
- Width128 mm
- Height192 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.25
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $15.40
- AU $21.58Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $11.52Trending at AU $14.27
- AU $23.64Trending at AU $26.61
- AU $12.34Trending at AU $12.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.