CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $21.36Trending at AU $24.64
- AU $103.00Trending at AU $108.04
- AU $28.99Trending at AU $31.21
- AU $42.99Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $10.56Trending at AU $12.66
- AU $43.02Trending at AU $51.94
- AU $42.74Trending at AU $50.45
About this product
- DescriptionA riveting history of how the cataclysmic Lisbon earthquake shook the religious and intellectual foundations of Enlightenment Europe. Along with the volcanic destruction of Pompeii and the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, the Lisbon quake of 1755 is one of the most destructive natural disasters ever recorded. After being jolted by a massive quake, Lisbon was then pounded by a succession of tidal waves and finally reduced to ash by a fire that raged for five straight days. In The Last Day, Nicholas Shrady provides t only a vivid account of this horrific disaster but also a stimulating survey of the many shock waves it sent throughout Western civilization. When news of the quake spread, it inspired both a lurid fascination in the popular imagination of Europe and an intellectual debate about the natural world and God's place in human affairs. Voltaire, Alexander Pope, Immanuel Kant, and Jean-Jacques Rousseau, among other eminent figures, took up the disaster as a sort of cause celebre and a vehicle to express Enlightenment ideas. More practically, the Lisbon quake led to the first concerted effort at disaster control, modern urban planning, and the birth of seismology. The Last Day is popular history writing at its best and will appeal to readers of Simon Winchester's Krakatoa and A Crack in the Edge of the World.
- Author BiographyNicholas Shrady is a journalist and the author of Tilt: A Skewed History of the Tower of Pisa. An AudioFile Earphones Award winner and Audie Award finalist, Patrick Lawlor is also an accomplished stage actor.
- Author(s)Nicholas Shrady
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication07/04/2008
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Out-of-print date04/02/2017
- Weight162 g
- Width172 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Narrator(s)Patrick Lawlor
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time420
- Edition StatementLibrary ed
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.