Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $34.26Trending at AU $43.95
- AU $99.95Trending at AU $113.70
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $83.88
- AU $12.60Trending at AU $17.01
- AU $17.72Trending at AU $19.73
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.38
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.37
About this product
- DescriptionA defeated king stands on top of a pyre. His conqueror, the Persian ruler Cyrus, signals to his guards; they step forward and touch flaming torches to the dry wood. Croesus, once the wealthiest man of the ancient world, is to be burned alive. As he watches the flames catch, Croesus thinks back over his life. He remembers the time he asked the old Athenian philosopher, Solon, who was the happiest man in the world. Croesus used to think it was him. But then all his riches could t remove the spear from his dying elder son's chest; could t bring his mute younger son to speak; could t make him as wise as his own chief slave; could t bring his wife's love back; could t prevent his army from being torn apart and his kingdom lost. As the old philosopher had replied, a man's happiness can only be measured when he is dead. The first coils of smoke wrap around Croesus' neck like a ose...
- Author BiographyTim Leach is in his late twenties and lives in London. He is a recent graduate of the MA writing course at Warwick University, and is now teaching creative writing there on the undergraduate programme. This is his first novel.
- Author(s)Tim Leach
- PublisherAtlantic Books
- Date of Publication01/05/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAtlantic Books
- Content Notemap (black and white)
- Weight276 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edition StatementMain
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.