All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt is 1936, and Albert B. is one of the first French citizens to join the Fascist party. During the war, he becomes a collaborator. It's only a matter of time before he dons a German uniform himself. Taking place in the limbo between the moment of Albert's initial fall and his inevitable capture, following the Allied invasion of Mainau, The Laurels of Lake Constance is the story t only of Albert himself, but of his daughter, who must endure the paradox of loving a man whose beliefs and allegiances are thing short of catastrophic. Beautifully translated by velist Harry Mathews, The Laurels of Lake Constance is a profoundly moving story about both war and childhood, and their intersection in one household, conjured in all its details, be they beautiful or shameful: a resigned mother playing music, a father absent, an era frozen in a tragic fresco where velistic detail mixes with history.
- Author(s)Harry Mathews,Marie Chaix
- PublisherDalkey Archive Press
- Date of Publication07/08/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNormal, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDalkey Archive Press
- Weight454 g
- Width142 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine19 mm
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $73.25
- AU $84.17Trending at AU $91.13
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.49
- AU $12.76Trending at AU $15.08
- AU $11.56Trending at AU $16.38
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.67
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $24.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.