All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.46
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
About this product
- DescriptionAs an outpost of empire, Scotland played a significant, if unusual, role in the Roman world. The south and east were occupied intermittently from AD 79 to the early third century, while the rth and west remained outside Roman control, though certainly t beyond its influence. The conquest was therefore incomplete in Scotland, and military occupation was t followed up by a period of peaceful development; towns were built, and surviving remains are of camps and forts for the most part. Despite this, the Romans left an important imprint on Scotland. Much documentary evidence sheds light on the native population and archaeological research has led to detailed understanding of the range and distribution of the forts and other sites, and aerial photography has made possible a number of discoveries, filled gaps in our kwledge and opened up new avenues of enquiry. In this revised edition of his highly praised book, originally published as Scotland's Roman Remains, Lawrence Keppie sets out the various stages of Roman occupation in their historical context and shows how literary and archaeological evidence can be used to build up a picture of the Roman period. It incorporates a large amount of new material based on recent discoveries and research, making it one of the best guides to Roman Scotland available.
- Author BiographyLawrence Keppie was Professor of Roman History and Archaeology and Senior Curator of Archaeology, History and Ethnography at the Hunterian Museum, University of Glasgow. Now retired, he is Emeritus Professor of Roman History and Archaeology at the University of Glasgow.
- Author(s)Lawrence Keppie
- PublisherBirlinn General
- Date of Publication10/06/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBirlinn Ltd
- Content Noteb/w throughout
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.